International Outreach Community Service Program is designed to enable members to become better world citizens through advocacy, education, and action, which will, in turn, affect change in and for our global friends and their communities. In most cases, GFWC members cannot physically be present to assist and make changes in countries around the world; however, members can be assured that the donations made through our partnership agencies are reaching those in the greatest need. There are countless ways to support global development.
Consider raising cultural awareness; celebrating ethnicities; conducting fundraising activities to support healthy child development; advocating for basic human needs such as food, water, clothing, and education; and promoting self-sufficiency. Below is a comprehensive list of ideas on how clubs may support the International Outreach Community Service Program.
• Help children all over the world by funding life-saving vaccines.
• Participate in international cultural exchanges.
• Educate your club and community about major issues and challenges facing people in developing countries.
• Support the development of healthy and sustainable communities around the world.
• Ensure children have access to health, education, equality, and protection.
• Provide support and encourage growth and sustainability by donating gifts such as livestock to families in need.
• Educate members about United Nations programs concerning women and children.
• Promote legislation in support of human rights around the world.
• Provide members with direct service opportunities for persons in developing countries through our program partners.
• Helping to ensure that children and families have access to clean water by providing wells.
GFWC partners are the organizations listed with whom GFWC has established a formal relationship and mutual understanding.
HEIFER INTERNATIONAL has provided gifts of livestock and environmentally-sound agricultural training to improve the lives of those who struggle daily for reliable sources of food and income. For more information contact www.heifer.org
For those clubs in Washington there is also a Seattle chapter: http://seattle.heiferblog.org/
OPERATION SMILE: At Operation Smile, medical volunteers provide safe, effective, and free cleft lip and cleft palate repair surgery for children born all over the world. It is an international medical humanitarian organization dedicated to raising awareness of this life-threatening issue and providing lasting solutions that will allow children to be healed, regardless of financial standing, well into the future. Operation Smile’s free surgeries and medical missions are made possible by the thousands of volunteers and donors, throughout the world, who generously contribute time, talent and resources to our cause. For more information contact http://www.operationsmile.org/. Operation Smile also has a Washington based office: http://www.operationsmile.org/about_us/contact-us/us-chapters/operationsmile-washington.html
UNITED NATIONS FOUNDATION, SHOT@LIFE: Shot@Life, a United Nations Foundation’s campaign, seeks to educate, connect, and empower Americans to champion vaccines in order to save children in developing countries. Every 20 seconds, a child dies of a vaccine-preventable disease like pneumonia, diarrhea, measles, and polio. You can help save a child’s life by encouraging, learning about, advocating for, and donating vaccines. For more information contact http://shotatlife.org/